Liquid Biopsy: Answers in a Blood Drop
A Promise of Early Cancer Diagnostics and Treatment Monitoring
Literature (click to expand)
Harbeck, N., Penault-Llorca, F., et al. Breast cancer. Nat Rev Dis Primers 5, 66 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41572-019-0111-2
Tsodikov A et al. Reconciling the Effects of Screening on Prostate Cancer Mortality in the ERSPC and PLCO Trials. Ann Intern Med. 2017, 167(7):449-455.
Dama E., et al. Biomarkers and Lung Cancer Early Detection: State of the Art. Cancers (Basel). 2021;13(15):3919. doi:10.3390/cancers13153919
AWSDx: Solutions to Fulfill the Promise
First Shear Acoustic Sensing Technology Prototype for Liquid Biopsy-based Cancer Diagnostics
Competitive advantages of our technology are:
Superior sensitivity at a lower cost compared to the state-of-the-art methods; simplicity of operation; speed achieved through multiplexing on the 24-element acoustic arrays. The work on the design and implementation of an integrated platform and assays for the acoustic detection of the most prevalent druggable genetic mutations in lung-, breast-, colorectal cancers, and melanoma, is ongoing.
Shear Acoustic Resonator Arrays
References (click to expand)
- R. Fernández, M. Calero, I. Reviakine, J. V. García’Narbón, M. I. Rocha’Gaso, A. Arnau, Y. Jiménez, “High Fundamental Frequency (HFF) Monolithic Resonator Arrays for Biosensing Applications: Design, Simulations, and Experimental Characterization,” in IEEE Sensors Journal, vol. 21, no. 1, pp. 284-295, 1 Jan.1, 2021, doi: 10.1109/JSEN.2020.3015011.
- Calero, M.; Fernández, R.; García, P.; García, J.V.; García, M.; Gamero-Sandemetrio, E.; Reviakine, I.; Arnau, A.; Jiménez, Y. A Multichannel Microfluidic Sensing Cartridge for Bioanalytical Applications of Monolithic Quartz Crystal Microbalance. Biosensors 2020, 10, 189. https://doi.org/10.3390/bios10120189.
- Ilya Reviakine, Diethelm Johannsmann, Ralf P. Richter Hearing what you can’t see and visualizing what you hear: interpreting quartz crystal microbalance data from solvated interfaces. Anal. Chem. 83, 8838 – 8848 (2011).
Hydrodynamic Sensing: Path to Superior Sensitivity
Liposomes on surface-immobilized DNA allows ultrasensitive mutantation detection due to the signal enhancement from hydrodynamic effects. Here, we use liposomes to detect the presence of a single mutation in BRCA1 gene; the latter is a prognostic/diagnostic biomarker for breast cancer.
References (click to expand)
- Quantitative determination of size and shape of surface-bound DNA using an acoustic wave sensor. Biophysical Journal, 94 (7), pp. 2706-2715, 2008.
- A. Tsortos, G. Papadakis, E. Gizeli Shear acoustic wave biosensor for detecting DNA intrinsic viscosity and conformation: A study with QCM-D. Biosensors and Bioelectronics, 24 (4), pp. 836-841, 2008.
- D. Johannsmann, I. Reviakine, E. Rojas, M. Gallego Effect of sample heterogeneity on the interpretation of QCM(-D) data: Comparison of combined QCM/AFM measurements with finite element method (FEM) modeling. Analytical Chemistry 80, 8891-8899, 2008.
- D. Johannsmann, I. Reviakine, R. P. Richter Dissipation in Films of Adsorbed Nanospheres Studied by QCM. Analytical Chemistry 81, 8167 – 8176, 2009.
- E. Tellechea, D. Johannsmann, N. F. Steinmetz, R. P. Richter, I. Reviakine Model-independent analysis of QCM data on colloidal particle adsorption. Langmuir, 25, 5177 – 5184, 2009.
- G. Papadakis, A. Tsortos, E. Gizeli Acoustic characterization of nanoswitch structures; application to the DNA Holliday Junction; Nano Letters 10, 5093-5097, 2010.
- G. Papadakis, A. Tsortos, K. Mitsakakis, E. Gizeli Characterization of DNA-Hv1 histone interactions; discrimination of DNA size and shape; FEBS Letters 584, 935-940, 2010.
- G. Papadakis, A. Tsortos, F. Bender, E. Ferapontova, E. Gizeli Direct detection of DNA conformation in hybridization processes, Analytical Chemistry 84, 1854-1861, 2012.
- G. Papadakis, A Tsortos, A. Kordas, I. Tiniakou, E. Morou, J. Vontas, D. Kardassis, E. Gizeli Acoustic detection of DNA conformation in genetic assays combined with PCR Scientific Reports 3:2033, 2013.
- G. Papadakis, E. Gizeli, Screening for mutations in BRCA1 and BRCA2 genes by measuring the acoustic ratio with QCM, Analytical Methods 6 (2) 363-371, 2014.
- Tsortos, A. Grammoustianou, R. Lymbouridou, G. Papadakis, E. Gizeli The detection of multiple DNA targets with a single probe using a conformation-sensitive acoustic sensor; Chemical Communications, 51, 11504-11507, 2015.
- Extracting the Shape and Size of Biomolecules Attached to a Surface as Suspended Discrete Nanoparticles. Analytical Chemistry, 89 , pp. 4198-4203, 2017.
- A. Tsortos, G. Papadakis, E. Gizeli, On the hydrodynamic nature of DMA acoustic sensing; Analytical Chemistry, 88 (12), 6472-6478 (2016).
- Vasilios Raptis, Achilleas Tsortos, and Electra Gizeli Theoretical aspects of a discrete-binding approach in quartz-crystal microbalance acoustic biosensing Physical Review Applied, 11, 034031, 2019.
- Acoustic Methodology for Selecting Highly Dissipative Probes for Ultrasensitive DNA Detection. Analytical Chemistry, 92 , pp. 8186-8193, 2020.
- Reut Israeli, Sofiya Kolusheva, Pablo Mateos-Gil, Electra Gizeli, Raz Jelinek, Chromatic Dendrimer/Polydiacetylene Nanoparticles, ACS Appl. Polym. Mater. 3 (6), 2931–2937, 2021.
In 2017, AWSDx received a Seal of Excellence for the Horizon2020 proposal 809040-AWSPOC, submitted under the SME instrument phase 1 call H2020-SMEINST-1-2016-2017 dedicated to the support of biotechnology SMEs for closing the gap from lab to market.